The King's Hand or Hand of the King is a senior position of government and authority in the Seven Kingdoms. The position of the Hand is somewhat analogous to that of a Prime Minister: he chairs the small council and acts for and speaks with the authority of the King on the Iron Throne. The Hand is typically considered to be the second-most-powerful position in the kingdom.
The amount of power each Hand wields varies depending on the king. Some kings are very hands-on in governance and in this case the Hand acts as a facilitator and advisor. In many cases, the king has no interest in the small decisions and day-to-day running of the kingom, and in this case the Hand wields immense and semi-autonomous power.
The Hand's most noticeable authority is chairing meetings of the small council, discussing and debating policies and deciding which matters need to be brought to the king's attention.
History of the positionEdit
It is unknown if the position of King's Hand existed amongst the independent kingdoms, was a Valyrian tradition, or if it was a new position created by the Targaryen dynasty when they took control of Westeros.
Known Hands of the KingEdit
- Prince Maegor Targaryen, 37-42 AL, King's Hand and brother to King Aenys I.
- Prince Viserys Targaryen, 157-171, King's Hand and uncle to King Daeron I and Baelor I.
- Lord Butterwell, King's Hand to King Daeron II, replaced for incompetence during the Blackfyre Rebellion.
- Lord Hayford, 196, Butterwell's replacement, killed at the Battle of Redgrass Field.
- Prince Baelor Targaryen, 196-209, son of Daeron II, killed in a tourney mishap.
- Ser Brynden Rivers, called Bloodraven, 209-221, half-uncle to King Aerys I.
- Lord Tywin Lannister, 262-281, Hand to King Aerys II. Resigned after the Harrenhal tourney.
- Lord Owen Merryweather, 282, removed for incompetence during the War of the Usurper.
- Lord Jon Connington, c. 282-283, exiled after losing the Battle of the Bells.
- Lord Qarlton Chelsted, 283, executed for refusing an order of the King.
- Lord Rossart, 283, head of the Pyromancer's Guild, executed by Ser Jaime Lannister.
- Lord Jon Arryn, 283-298, Hand to King Robert Baratheon, died of apparent old age.
- Lord Eddard Stark, 298, Hand to King Robert, executed by Joffrey Baratheon.
- Lord Tywin Lannister, 298-300, Hand to King Joffrey. His son Tyrion was Acting Hand in 299.
- Ser Harys Swyft, 300- , Hand to King Tommen Baratheon, appointed by the Queen Regent, Cersei Lannister. Briefly replaced by Lord Orton Merryweather, until he resigned his post after Queen Cersei's arrest.
- Lord Mace Tyrell- Hand to King Tommen Baratheon, appointed by Regent Ser Kevan Lannister,